Friday, March 20, 2015

#TBCCrafters Craft Hop - Beach Themed Wine Glass Candle Holder



Check it Out!  Last week I posted my DIY Sea Shell Candle craft and showed you how to make your own candles with sea shells and tea light candles.  This week I am going to show you how I created a beach themed candle holder that is perfect for displaying those Sea Shell Candles. 
This idea was born from the desire to display some of the wonderful treasures that my husband and I found on our last trip to the beach together.  Most of these treasures were collected by my husband.  We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, our last trip together, and I just have a need to want to see them on a daily basis.  A memoir of sorts.
It all started with a wine glass.



My supplies for this craft include:

  • 1 Stemmed Wine Glass
  • 1 Small glass plate
  • 1 Pringles Can Lid
  • Twine
  • Mod Podge
  • E-6000 Adhesive
  • Sea Shells & other beach treasures
  • Sand
  • Charms & Beads

The wine glass was picked up from the Dollar Tree and the little plate is one of a set that is now incomplete after our house fire 3 years ago. 
The first thing I did was wrap twine around the top of the wine glass stem leaving tails. I used the E-6000 to adhere it in place. 



I wanted to have a layer of sand on the base of the wine glass so that it would be a bed for my sea shell candle.  I applied a liberal coat of the mod-podge and then dipped the base into my bucket of sand.  I then allowed it to dry.


I needed a base to keep my treasures inside the glass from moving around and to trap the sand inside so I used a Pringles can lid.  I trimmed the edges off leaving a flat piece of plastic that was the exact size of the glass rim.  Using hot glue I arranged my treasures on the base and secured them adding some sand into the cracks to cover any hot glue that was showing.  To add my sand to the glass I tilted it on it's side and poured in enough just to cover the base and around the treasures. Using the E-6000 I glued the base to the rim of the glass while holding it upside down.  I allowed it plenty of time to dry before flipping it back over and shaking it a little to spread it out.


I could have left it just like that but I wanted to add some more of the treasures around the outside of the glass.  This is where the plate comes in.  I placed the glass in the center of the plate and added some more sand and treasures around the plate.



I added some shells to the ends of the twine along with some beads and a charm.  I also added a raffia bow. I then added a little spanish moss to the top and placed my candle on top of that.


I love how it turned out and I am now gonna make a pair!  I like being able to touch the sand on the outside and move the shells around.  And I really love the memories I get from looking at it!


5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!!! What a stunning piece to add to a table or counter. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond awesome! I love your beach themed projects and even more so because of what they represent for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you pin your own projects? If you don't, you should. This amazing and beautiful project is by far one of the most repinned lately.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...